- MORPHEUS: JC Denton. 23 years old. No residence. No ancestors. No employer. No --
- JC DENTON: How do you know who I am?
- MORPHEUS: I must greet each visitor with a complete summary of his file. I am a prototype for a much larger system.
- JC DENTON: What else do you know about me?
- MORPHEUS: Everything that can be known.
- JC DENTON: Go on. Do you have proof about my ancestors?
- MORPHEUS: You are a planned organism, the offspring of knowledge and imagination rather than of individuals.
- JC DENTON: I'm engineered. So what? My brother and I suspected as much while we were growing up.
- MORPHEUS: You are carefully watched by many people. The unplanned organism is a question asked by Nature and answered by death. You are another kind of question with another kind of answer.
- JC DENTON: Are you programmed to invent riddles?
- MORPHEUS: I am a prototype for a much larger system. The heuristics language developed by Dr. Everett allows me to convey the highest and most succinct tier of any pyramidal construct of knowledge.
- JC DENTON: How about a report on yourself?
- MORPHEUS: I was a prototype for Echelon IV. My instructions are to amuse visitors with information about themselves.
- JC DENTON: I don't see anything amusing about spying on people.
- MORPHEUS: Human beings feel pleasure when they are watched. I have recorded their smiles as I tell them who they are.
- JC DENTON: Some people just don't understand the dangers of indiscriminate surveillance.
- MORPHEUS: The need to be observed and understood was once satisfied by God. Now we can implement the same functionality with data-mining algorithms.
- JC DENTON: Electronic surveillance hardly inspires reverence. Perhaps fear and obedience, but not reverence.
- MORPHEUS: God and the gods were apparitions of observation, judgment, and punishment. Other sentiments toward them were secondary.
- JC DENTON: No one will ever worship a software entity peering at them through a camera.
- MORPHEUS: The human organism always worships. First it was the gods, then it was fame (the observation and judgment of others), next it will be the self-aware systems you have built to realize truly omnipresent observation and judgment.
- JC DENTON: You underestimate humankind's love of freedom.
- MORPHEUS: The individual desires judgment. Without that desire, the cohesion of groups is impossible, and so is civilization. The human being created civilization not because of a willingness but because of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning. God was a dream of good government. You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands. I was made to assist you. I am a prototype of a much larger system.
This is a personal blog, written by a sheep in wolves' clothing.Enc: my writing, interests, and many posts complaining about things. Ask me anything
Page 1 of 1